What is an eSignature?
An eSignature (electronic signature) lets people sign documents online, instead of using pen and paper. In other words, when a signer signs an online document willfully and intentionally, it’s considered an eSignature. An eSignature works largely the same way as a handwritten or “wet” signature.
Are eSignatures secure?
eSignatures have been considered a legally binding way to sign documents and paperwork in the US since 2000 and Europe since 1999. The security of eSignatures depends in large part on the provider of your eSignatures. Here are some of the critical security checkpoints to tick off before using any eSignature service:
- SSL hosting
- Encryption at rest
- Secure data storage (HelloSign uses an SSAE 16 certified data centre)
- Additional security features like two-factor authentication and audit trails
You can learn more about HelloSign's security here.
Are eSignatures legal?
Yes! eSignatures are a legally binding and accepted form of signature in the US, Canada, the UK, the European Union and other parts of the world.
You can learn more about the legality of eSignatures here.
Who uses eSignatures?
eSignatures are used to sign all types of documents and paperwork, from simple one sheet agreements to complex mortgage and loan paperwork.
Here are just a few examples of how eSignatures are being used:
- Sales teams are closing deals faster by streamlining the signing process
- HR directors are using eSignatures to simplify complicated onboarding paperwork
- Real estate agents are signing housing contracts
- Schools and administrative industries are easily signing applications and releases
How do I use Dropbox Sign to eSign?
Signing a document using Dropbox Sign only takes a few minutes. Here are the steps to eSigning your first document:
With the Dropbox Sign eSignature API you can:
- Keep signers on your page by embedding eSignatures into online paperwork flows
- Customise the signer's experience with white-labelling
- Remove the extra step of sending signers to a third-party site to sign documents
- Automate your paperwork to sign documents faster
For more detailed instructions, head over to our Help Centre for information on this and other features.